For the Cake:
- 1 box Spice Cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3-4 tsp. milk (start with less and add more until desired consistency)
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9″x13″ cake pan and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except walnuts with an electric mixer until smooth. Fold in the walnuts. Pour into baking dish and bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes before inverting onto serving dish.
- Beat butter in the bowl of a stand mixer (or with handheld electric mixer) until fluffy and creamy (about 2 minutes). Add in powdered sugar and beat on low (so as not to make a huge mess!).
- Add vanilla and 2 tsp. of milk. Keep mixing and adding little bits of milk until it reaches your desired consistency. Add cinnamon and beat until evenly distributed.
- Frost cake once it’s completely cooled, cut in squares and you’re good to go!