A warm, comforting dinner that is perfect for Fall!
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, divided
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 lbs chicken, cooked and diced into bite size pieces
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cup whole milk
- 1.5 cup half and half
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 large bag of tater tots
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large pot, melt 6 tablespoons of butter and add the carrots, half the onion, and stir until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the flour and whisk contantly for about one minute. Stir in the milk and cook, continuing to whisk constnatly. Stir in the half and half and continue whisking until thickened. Add the beef cube and pepper and mix until dissolved. Add salt to taste if necessary. Set aside.
- In another large pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the onion, a pinch of salt and garlic, stirring until the onion is translucent and it’s fragrant (reduce heat if necessary so garlic doesn’t burn). Add the chopped chicken and allow to warm up. Add frozen peas and corn and stir for another couple of minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain to remove all liquids. Layer half of the chicken mixture on the bottom of a 4 quart oven proof dish. Then layer half of the cream mixture. Pour the rest of the chicken followed by the rest of the cream mixture over that.
- Top with tater tots to cover the entire mixture beneath. Add a little salt and pepper over the tater tots. Bake for 45 minutes or until tater tots are golden brown and crunchy.
- Allow it to cool for 20 minutes so the mixture firms up a bit inside. Enjoy!