Bananas and pineapple come together to make a dessert that is a cross between your favorite snack and favorite cocktail.
For the bread:
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rum or 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup pineapple bits
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. pineapple juice
- 1 tsp. rum
- 1/2 cup toasted shredded coconut
For the bread:
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper and grease. Set aside.
- Peel and mash the bananas in a large bowl until no chunks are left. Stir in the sugars, egg and butter until well combined. Add in the extract and rum (or only extract if you prefer!).
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then add to your wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the pineapple bits and shredded coconut and pour into your loaf pan.
- Bake for about an hour and check with a toothpick. Check in 5 minute increments after that if it still isn’t done. Let it fully cool in pan then remove and set on a plate.
For the topping:
- While the bread is cooling, toast your coconut. Add the 1/2 cup coconut flakes to a pan over medium-low heat and stir constantly until golden. Transfer to a small dish and let it cool down.
- As the coconut cools, go ahead and make the rum glaze. Combine the powdered sugar, pineapple juice and rum until a glaze comes together.
- Make small holes on the top of your bread using a toothpick or fork. Pour the glaze over the top and immediately top with the toasted coconut. Let it harden a little bit and then slice and enjoy!
- Category: dessert, summertime
Keywords: dessert, bread, banana bread, summer,