The perfect breakfast coffee cake. Strawberry Crumble Muffins are the perfect start of summer treat!
- click here for a 3 ingredient homemade version or
- use jarred high quality strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup (half stick) butter, softened and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup water and 1 tsp. vinegar)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt or fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your muffin trays with 12-14 cupcake liners.
To make the crumble topping:
Add all ingredients into a small bowl. Use your fingers, two forks or a pastry cutter to combine it all. Set aside.
To make muffins:
- In a large bowl, add all wet ingredients (butter, syrup, vanilla, buttermilk, yogurt, and eggs). Whisk until fully combined.
- Then add the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, stirring until it is all combined. Add in the fresh chopped strawberries and gently fold in.
- Divide batter among prepared baking tins. Add one teaspoon of jam at the center of each and using a toothpick, swirl in gently. Be careful not to stir completely so your batter doesn’t turn pink.
- Add your crumble topping to the muffins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let them sit in the tins for 10 minutes. Then transfer to cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before enjoying with a cup of coffee.
Feel free to swap out strawberries for any other berry you prefer!
Top with a little glaze if you want an extra bit of sweetness. Just combine powdered sugar with a touch of milk and stir until desired consistency!
- Category: dessert, breakfast
Keywords: breakfast, dessert, coffeecake, strawberry