(Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything through them, there is no extra cost to you. I simply make a small commission from the sale which allows me to keep this site up and running. Thank you for supporting To Eat, Drink & Be Married!).
Classic Mexican Enchiladas? Yes, please!
*raises hand up high*
I think if I had to choose one type of food that was my favorite, it would be Mexican. It’s a really close tie with Italian, but I’m pretty sure I would always choose Mexican if I had the chance to. I am not a huge fan of spice, so my salsa and burritos are usually mild, but I love the flavors. I am a huge fan of all the “cremas” and cheeses in the Mexican cuisine. I’m even happy with a big ol’ dollop of sour cream over the top of my meal!
A while back we had friends over who were getting married (yay!) and I was going to help them put together a day of coordination plan for their wedding day! I knew it was going to be a late night of planning so I wanted to have dinner. I didn’t want it to be yet another Papa John’s night, so I started thinking about what would be a great meal that I could make ahead and just leave ready to go in the fridge for whenever we were hungry.
This was my first time eating enchiladas. Can you believe it?!
For whatever reason, I thought of enchiladas. I had never made them, but I knew they were delicious. I also knew they were a great “make ahead” meal so I got into the kitchen. I popped a few chicken breasts in the oven and then shredded them. I made a big chicken, sour cream and chicken mixture with some cilantro and stuffed tortillas. I rolled them all up, laid them in my favorite Le Creuset baking dish, poured some enchilada sauce and cheese over the top and put that in the fridge.
When our friends had arrived and we were ready to eat, all I had to do was put it in the oven for the cheese to melt and so they got heated through and we were good to go. It was so easy and perfect for a busy night of work. I also loved that the mess to prep this was minimal and it really allowed us to spend time with friends without having to stress over what to eat. 🙂
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me or use the hashtag #toeatdrinkandbemarried. I want to see it! 🙂
Chicken Pancake Tacos
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and then pour some enchilada sauce on that.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, add the oil and onions, cooking until translucent. Add the chicken, stirring just until combined. Pour 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce over that and stir. Add the sour cream and parsley, stirring until combined.
- Turn off the heat and add about 2 cups of the cheese. Stir until it is fully combined.
- Fill the tortillas with the chicken mixture, add some enchilada sauce over that and roll it up. Place in the baking dish, seam side down. Repeat until baking dish is full.
- Pour enchilada sauce over the top of that and then the rest of the cheese. Cover with foil. (at this point you can put it in the fridge and save it to bake later.
- Bake for about 20 minutes (longer if you kept it in the fridge), then remove the foil and cook for another 5 or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly and tortillas edges have crisped up a bit.
- Remove from oven, add a little more chopped parsley and enjoy!