Tiramisu is my absolute favorite dessert. My family was never really a fan, but I’m lucky my husband loves it too, so we try and get it whenever we can. I love the combination of the creamy and airy sweetness of the mascarpone cheese and the deep bitterness of the coffee. And then the dusting of cocoa powder over the top makes it oh-so-remarkable for me. This is a dessert I love to try everywhere I go, and I certainly do have favorites.
Just a little random story…my husband and I visited Rome on our honeymoon and searched high and low for a great tiramisu. We knew if there was a place to try it, Rome was it! We tried many different desserts, but our definite favorite was at the place we least expected it…McDonald’s! We were making jokes about McDonald’s having such a delectable treat, and ordered it on a whim. And boy, were we surprised. It was the best we’ve ever had. Here’s a photo of my super handsome husband before we devoured our little treat! 😉
Anyways, I’ve always been so afraid to try making it at home because it seems soooo complicated! I remember making it once but had such a difficult recipe that I avoided it forever after that. I’ve seen people make it and say it’s so easy, but I just couldn’t work up the courage to try it again. I wanted all the pretty, perfect layers, but thought I couldn’t. Thanks to my husband, who kept pestering me to try (in a totally nice way, of course ;)), I searched all over Pinterest for a great recipe, and ended up putting this one together myself. I made it the simplest I possibly could without sacrificing flavor, texture and presentation. And I dare say, it turned out pretty well. The best part was that as the days went by and the coffee soaked the lady fingers longer, the taste was even better! Also, the fact that its No-Bake is awesome! Mmmm, I will definitely keep making this in the future! (and by the way, the layers turned out beautifully. 🙂
Classic Italian Tiramisu
Prep Time: 10 min, Chill time, 4-8hrs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Amaretto liquor or Brandy (I didn’t have this on hand and it turned out well without it, but I included it because this is a classic ingredient)
- 1 and 1/2 cups espresso or the strongest coffee you have at room temperature
- 1 package Lady fingers
- cocoa powder for dusting the top
- Beat the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form in a medium bowl or in a stand mixer. Stir in mascarpone cheese and liquor if planning to use it.
- Dip lady fingers in coffee (lightly or else they fall apart) and place in an even layer in 8×8 dish . Spread half of the mascarpone cheese mixture over the top of the lady fingers. Repeat the process with another layer of lady fingers and cheese mixture.
- Dust the top of the cream layer with cocoa powder using a sifter or strainer. Refrigerate for about 4-8 hours before serving.
This is a great make ahead dessert. Feel free to make it the night before serving…it only gets better with more time in the fridge.