My favorite season of the year (by FAR), is fall. Everything about it is so cozy and romantic to me. It’s all about warmth and family and being together and it really just makes me happy all around. There are so many other things I love about it, too. Activities like pumpkin patches, corn mazes, DIY fall decor, and the fashion like boots and scarves are some of my favorites (although I haven’t even done some of those things because of where we live. I think you can only wear a scarf in Miami for about 2 minutes before you start sweating profusely). Anyway, it still enchants me. However, my absolute favorite part of fall? The food!
(Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything through them, there is no extra cost to you. I simply make a small commission from the sale which allows me to keep this site up and running. Thank you for supporting To Eat, Drink & Be Married!)
Mikey doesn’t understand me at all when I say the food is my favorite part of fall. Apple crisp is my number one fall dessert choice. I only want to eat it in the fall though. It feels like I’m cheating if I enjoy it any other time of the year. Mikey doesn’t get it. He says if I like it so much, I should just make it whenever I want. That’s just not how it goes though. I want to enjoy it along with the season. And like that, there are many other dishes I love to enjoy once September hits. I’m thinking something along the lines of autumn squash soup, pumpkin flavored desserts, hot chocolate, and stuff like that. You get me?
I think my favorite part about fall food is the soups! So delicious. Today I want to share one that I make over and over and never fails me!
Creamy tomato soup.
Yep, like the Panera kind.
This one is almost completely creamy. I love the little chunks of tomato, but if you don’t, feel free to pulse it completely. Served with a side of grilled cheese on whole grain bread toasted to a buttery gold perfection? I’m convinced there’s nothing better than dipping a grilled cheese in tomato soup.
Grilled cheese + tomato soup = FALL!
You have got to get your hands on this recipe and make it ASAP. Or well, it’s still August so maybe it’s just a tad early. Save it, though! You are going to want this when the colder months hit. And it’s so easy, you’ll find yourself making it over and over again. At least I do!
Tools that might be helpful in making this recipe:
This last one is great for making a grilled cheese perfectly every time! 😉
If you make this recipe, use the hashtag #toeatdrinkandbemarried. I’d love to see it!
[recipe title=”Creamy Tomato Soup” servings=”4″ time=”30 minutes” ]
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can (28oz) can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes (I used Muir Glen)
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup of parmesan cheese
- Freshly chopped basil leaves for topping (optional)
- Heat a pot with olive oil over medium heat. Add in onion, cooking until translucent (about 4-5 minutes). Add garlic in right at the end, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken broth and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you like basil, add some in now.
- Use an immersion blender to cream the soup (although I have found a blender works a lot faster and is less messy in this scenario).
- Add in the Parmesan cheese and cream and stir to combine until smooth. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Serve in bowls topped with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, croutons and a bit of basil if you’d like. Also wouldn’t hurt to make yourself a grilled cheese sandwich to dip in. 😉
For another warm and comforting soup recipe like this one,