Growing up, my mom always made pineapple upside down cake. I loved everything about it…except the pineapples. I just don’t like them and they ruin the whole cake for me. However, the caramelized part around it…mmm…delicious. So, I decided to give this a try using a recipe for pineapple cake, but substituting the pineapple for bananas. And boy was it delicious. Everything I dreamed of in a perfect pineapple upside cake, minus the pineapples. ;)
The cake is airy and moist while the caramelized edges around the bananas are just perfect. The banana in itself also gives it such a great sweet touch. I served this cake warm out of the oven with some vanilla ice cream and it was perfect. Today I popped another slice in the microwave for 10 seconds and added some ice cream and it was just as good. I absolutely love this cake and I hope you’ll try it! I will definitely be making this one a lot over the summer! :)
Banana Upside Down Cake
For the glazed bananas
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 bananas, sliced
for the cake
- 1 mashed banana
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- dash of cinnamon (optional, but a nice touch)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a springform pan with butter or non-stick spray. Place the pan on top of a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil (the glaze will drip). Mix the melted butter and brown sugar together and spread along the bottom of the pan. Place the sliced bananas on top of the brown sugar mixture.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mashed banana, melted butter, egg, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla until combined. Then stir in the baking powder and salt, followed by the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Spread the batter evenly on top of the bananas and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the top has started to turn golden brown along the edges and the brown sugar bubbles along the rim of the pan and caramelizes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting. Cake is delicious served warm out of the oven (or microwaved the next day ;)) with some ice cream! mmm :)