I’m so excited to share this creamy chicken noodle soup with you today! It is light in calories, full of veggies and the perfect texture with egg noodles. It is comforting, and hearty and oh so delicious for a rainy day, a sick day, or any other day! It’s always a treat to get a nice soup for dinner and my husband absolutely loves it.
It was rainy for a week straight and I did not want to cook a regular meal, so I decided to go for a soup. Chicken noodle soup was one I’d never made, but I love so I knew I wanted to try it. It was the perfect dinner with a side of bread (I’ll be sharing that recipe coming up). Make this the next time you want a tasty dinner all in one pot!
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup sliced carrots (1 and 1/2 large carrots)
- 1 cup sliced celery (2-3 stalks)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced (around 1 and 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups shredded roasted chicken
- 1 cup half-and-half OR whole milk
- 2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- Heat the butter in a large pot (4 quart or larger) over medium heat.
- Add the veggies along with the garlic and sauté for around 7 minutes as the veggies release some of their juices and become translucent and soft. Add flour, along with the spices. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Next, add the broth and potato. Give everything a stir and and increase the heat to medium high . Bring the soup to a boil and allow to boil for 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover the pot and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes have softened.
- Taste the soup and decide if it needs more seasoning. If so, add it now.
- Add the chicken, half-and-half, and noodles. Cook for 10 minutes until the noodles are tender and the soup has become thicker. Serve the soup warm.