Every time I buy a few packages of ground turkey, at least one of them always turns into a batch of burgers. Mikey and I have become obsessed with turkey burger sliders on Hawaiian rolls. They are just the perfect size, a little bit sweet and ohhhh soo gooddd! We always pair them with something, though. You can’t just eat a burger on it’s own (although these are so good, you just might be able to!).
Mikey’s favorite is having burgers with tater tots. I used to bake them to make them a little healthier, but there’s just nothing like a good ol’ fried side with your burger. So we started frying them. I never really made french fries or anything else, I would just fry frozen straight out of the bag.
Just the other day, I made burgers again, and when I opened the freezer to get the tater tots, I realized we were out. I considered making some homemade, but the last time I did that, it took quite a while and I knew the burgers would be ready in about 15 minutes. I scrambled to think of what we could make until it occurred to me, while slicing onions for the burgers, that I could make onion rings. Well, I had never made onion rings before, but I knew it had to be simple, straightforward and just use a basic batter to coat it.
So that’s what I did. I mixed some flour with salt, pepper and paprika, coated each onion ring in it, and then added milk and an egg to the leftover flour mixture. From there, I dipped each onion ring again in that milk mixture and then in a coating of breadcrumbs. I deep fried them until golden and crispy and they were perfect! We served them with a little ketchup and mayo mixed together, but next time we’re going to have them with a side of my Copy Cat Chick-Fil-A sauce for dipping!
If you are looking for a deep fryer so as not to make a mess and use your stove top, consider these great deep fryers:
Mikey loved these so much I think we may be having them more often than just with burgers. We may also never go back to frozen tater tots, I don’t know… Whatever the case, these are our new favorites, cheap and easy and we can’t wait to make them again with something else. Give them a try and let me know what you think!
[recipe title=”Easy Homemade Onion Rings” servings=”4″ time=”20 minutes” ]
- 1 Onion
- ½ cup of All Purpose Flour
- 1 T of Baking Powder
- 1 T of Smoked Paprika
- 1 Egg
- ¾ cup of Milk
- 1 tsp of ground pepper
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or more)
- Oil for frying
- Slice your onion into 1/4 inch slices and separate each ring. In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and paprika. Coat each onion ring in the flour and set aside.
- When all rings are coated in flour, add the milk, egg, salt and pepper into the bowl, whisking until combined. Prepare another bowl with the breadcrumbs. Start heating up your oil for frying on medium high.
- One by one, dip the rings in the milk mixture until fully coated and then the breadcrumbs until completely covered as well. Then drop in the oil and fry on that side for about 30 seconds (or until golden) and flip over for another 30 seconds. Remove with a fork, draining it a bit before placing on a paper towel lined plate. If you are frying multiple rings at a time, be sure they are not touching each other while doing so.
- Mix together your favorite ingredients for a great sauce and enjoy!