Want to make puppy chow more magical?
Add Christmas sprinkles and fun colored M&M’s and call it….
So much fun, adds a special feel to it and the kids will absolutely go crazy over it!
I’ve seen a few ways to make this.
Some people do it all in a brown paper grocery bag. I think it’s so cool, but I haven’t tried it!
I’ve also seen others who place everything in a bowl, put a lid on it and shake away.
Mine does require a few more utensils, but I love tossing it and making sure I can break up the really big pieces that tend to stick together.
I also like to refrigerate between the chocolate and powdered sugar to ensure it sticks nicely and doesn’t become a powdered sugar and chocolate blend.
This really is a simple recipe! And if you wanted to use the paper bag or bowl and lid method, you totally can!
It’s really up to you and what you prefer.
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Rice Chex
- Pretzel Sticks
- chocolate chips
- creamy peanut butter
- powdered sugar
- mini pb cups
How to Store Puppy Chow
Puppy chow can live on your counter for 5-7 days. It can live in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
But I can guarantee it won’t make it that long! haha
It’s so addicting, we ate it in just 2 days.
I love to keep it in the fridge because it stays really crunchy! I absolutely love that part of it.
Another note: if this seems like too much for you, half the recipe. I’ve done it and it works well. :)
Reindeer Food Puppy Chow
- 5 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 1.5 cup pretzel sticks, chopped
- 1.5 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1.5 cup chocolate chips (semi sweet or dark)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup M&Ms
- 1 cup mini peanut butter cups
- In a microwave safe bowl, add peanut butter and chocolate chips. Microwave in 1 minute increments, stirring between each minute until fully melted.
- Add in the cereal and pretzels and toss until fully combined. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place 1 cup of powdered sugar in the bottom of a large bowl. Add half of the cereal. Then add the remainder of the powdered sugar and cereal on top. Use two wooden spoons or spatulas to carefully toss it around until fully coated.
- Refrigerate for another hour so it gets nice and crispy. Toss in the M&M's and peanut butter cups and enjoy!