I absolutely love carrot cake. Although I think it is typically a “fall” dessert, it always makes an appearance around here in the springtime for Easter. Last year I made a three layer carrot cake and although it was delicious and really pretty, it took A LOT of work! I am glad I made it because it was the centerpiece of my Easter brunch, but this year, I wanted to enjoy my carrot cake with little hassle… enter cupcakes!
So, I took my basic carrot cake recipe and made it into cupcakes. Then, I frosted it with cream cheese frosting (the best, am I right?!). I dyed the cream cheese frosting a very light, pastel green and used a very fine tip with a piping bag to make it look like messy grass. Then, I placed three different color Robin Eggs over the top. They looked so cute and I will tell you, they tasted even better!
It was a hassle free dessert that tasted amazing and I am glad I went that route instead of the three layer cake this year. This is a great recipe to serve at your Easter brunch, or to take to your kid’s school. Everyone will think they are adorable and you will love how easy they were to make! Enjoy! 🙂
[recipe title=”Robin Eggs Carrot Cupcakes” servings=”12″ time=”30 minutes” ]
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- Robin Eggs for decor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tray with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add brown sugar and granulated sugar and whisk. Then add eggs one at a time until combined. Mix in applesauce and vanilla. When combined, slowly add in vegetable oil until fully combined. Add in dry flour mixture in two parts until combined and lastly, stir in shredded carrots.
- Evenly divide and pour mixture into 12 muffins (each about 3/4 full). Bake in preheated oven about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool.
- FROSTING: Whip the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Blend in the vanilla. Then add in sugar little by little until it is done! Lastly, pour in a couple of drops of green food coloring and blend until combined.
- Pour into a piping bag (or my favorite, a Ziploc with the tip cut off) and add the frosting in. When the cupcakes are fully cooled, drizzle that frosting over the top of the cupcake to create what looks like grass. Then, take 3 different color Robin Eggs and arrange them nicely over the top.
- Voila! Easy and so good! Enjoy 🙂