(Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything through them, there is no extra cost to you. I simply make a small commission from the sale which allows me to keep this site up and running. Thank you for supporting To Eat, Drink & Be Married!).
These past few weeks have been a whirlwind. Mikey and I are working on a few new and exciting things, I’m working on graduating this summer (just 65 days left, but who’s counting?) and we’re planning a little getaway to Vero Beach for Mikey’s 29th birthday! The days are flying by as they do every summer. I haven’t been posting as often as I’d like, but I’m so looking forward to being done with school to dedicate more time to this. 🙂
One of my favorite things about summer is quick and easy dishes that can be made in no time after enjoying some fun activities. I want to have meals that can be thrown together in under 30 minutes so we can spend all our time enjoying the weather and doing fun things. One of our newfound favorite recipes for this is Chicken Fried Rice. If you have the rice cooked ahead of time, it literally takes about 15 minutes to cook up this deliciously filling, one pot meal.
I make this recipe with chicken most often because that is what I usually have on hand. However, Mikey loves shrimp, so I’ll switch it up every now and then and serve it with that instead. You really can use any protein you want (or none at all!). Sometimes I make the fried rice with no protein at all and just wait until the moment to serve to decide what we want it with. Or maybe one night we’ll have it with shrimp and the next night we’ll eat the leftovers with chicken. The options are endless. 😉
I also made a shrimp sauce to go with it, but I love this sauce with any protein. haha Just make this sauce beforehand and leave it in the fridge until ready to eat. This recipe is perfect for a quick summer dinner and sure to become a family favorite. Give it a try and let me know what you think! 🙂
[recipe title=”Chicken Fried Rice” servings=”6″ time=”30 minutes” ]
For shrimp sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/8 teaspoon garlic powder
For Fried Rice:
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked and chilled rice
- 3-4 tablespoons soy sauce, or more to taste
- 2 tsp oyster sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
- cooked protein of choice
For Shrimp Sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at east 30 minutes before serving.
For Fried Rice:
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter in large pot until melted over medium high heat. Add egg and cook until scrambled, stirring occasionally. Transfer eggs to plate before slightly done and let them finish cooking on their own.
- Add another tablespoon of butter to the pan and heat until melted. Add carrots, onion, peas and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for five minutes until veggies are soft and cooked, being careful not to bring butter to a burn.
- Increase heat to high, add in the remaining butter (or more) and stir until melted. Add in the rice, soy sauce and oyster sauce (if using) and stir until combined. Continue stirring for 3-5 minutes until rice is fried, being careful not to let it burn or stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the eggs and choice of cooked protein. Give it a good stir, remove from heat and lastly add the sesame oil and stir. Serve warm.
For another delicious rice recipe, check out THIS post!