(Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything through them, there is no extra cost to you. I simply make a small commission from the sale which allows me to keep this site up and running. Thank you for supporting To Eat, Drink & Be Married!).
What if I told you could make a really delicious, flavorful cake with a boxed cake mix? Using Applesauce, Walnuts Spice Cake and more!
Yeah, I know, seems like “cheating” in the baking realm, but I think it’s fair game. I mean, we are adding more ingredients, so it’s not totally a boxed cake mix….right?!
Enter: Applesauce Walnut Spice Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream
This cake is incredibly easy to make and really brings in all the flavors of the season. It all starts with a box of Spice cake mix. It was a bit hard to find in my grocery store, but I eventually got ahold of it. Hopefully it’s easier to find where you’re at! You add some applesauce, a bit of cinnamon and a little more of this and that and you’ve got yourself an incredible sheet cake.
Top with some cinnamon buttercream and you’ve got yourself a pot o’ gold! This is an incredible dessert to take to a doctor’s office as a gift, to your kid’s school for a surprise treat or just to enjoy at home while watching a Fall themed Hallmark movies (when are those gonna start anyway?! Not so patiently waiting over here…). I mean, I’ve got my Applesauce Walnut Spice Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream…I guess I can just enjoy this while I wait.
If you do make this Applesauce Walnut Spice Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream be sure to tag me on Instagram! I’d love to check it out and feature you on my page 🙂
For the Cake:
- 1 box Spice Cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3-4 tsp. milk (start with less and add more until desired consistency)
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9″x13″ cake pan and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except walnuts with an electric mixer until smooth. Fold in the walnuts. Pour into baking dish and bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes before inverting onto serving dish.
- Beat butter in the bowl of a stand mixer (or with handheld electric mixer) until fluffy and creamy (about 2 minutes). Add in powdered sugar and beat on low (so as not to make a huge mess!).
- Add vanilla and 2 tsp. of milk. Keep mixing and adding little bits of milk until it reaches your desired consistency. Add cinnamon and beat until evenly distributed.
- Frost cake once it’s completely cooled, cut in squares and you’re good to go!
Looking for more Fall recipes? Here are some savory ones!
Butternut Squash Risotto