Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup… the perfect comfort meal for a chilly fall afternoon.
I’ll admit. The initial idea of this soup wasn’t going to be carrot and sweet potato. I was really craving a butternut squash soup from Panera, but didn’t want to go get one. I didn’t have any butternut squashes on hand, and I didn’t really feel like going out. On a side note, why are they so darn expensive? Last time I bought one, I paid $13 for a medium sized squash. Seemed insane to me! But anyway, that’s not the point. The point is, I didn’t have any and I wanted soup NOW!
So I opened the fridge drawer where I keep all my veggies and looked around. What could I possibly make that would resemble a butternut squash soup?! Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted some sweet potatoes that were going to go bad if I didn’t get to working with them. I figured I could make a sweet potato soup. I wanted to use up some other veggies though, so after a quick scan I found a few carrots and decided to throw those in there, too.
Well, let me tell you guys, I was not sure what I was making. I had never tried a sweet potato and carrot soup (although after a quick search on Pinterest, I realized it is a thing), but I wasn’t opposed to trying it. It actually sounded quite appetizing! I thought of baking the carrots and sweet potato first, but then decided against that. As someone who hates doing dishes, eliminating any steps that require more washing is always a win! I went ahead and just dumped those in the same pot where I was cooking the rest of the soup ingredients.
Where has this soup been my whole life?!
I was quite impressed. The veggies cooked perfectly and the seasoning was pretty good, too! After a quick whirl in the blender (couldn’t find my immersion blender, whoops), I realized this looked exactly like butternut squash soup! It was actually pretty neat! And then was the moment of truth: tasting. Lo and behold, it tasted great! Different than squash soup, but good different. It was creamy and slightly sweet, but had more of a sweet potato taste! It was great (and MUCH cheaper than butternut squash). I still love a good squash soup, but this one is going to be on the weekly rotation this fall as well!
If you make this recipe, be sure to use the hashtag #toeatdrinkandbemarried. I’d love to see it!
Here’s a pin for ya!
Cozy Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 medium sized carrots chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 box of vegetable stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- optional for a kick: hot sauce chili powder or red pepper flakes
- Pour the vegetable oil in the bottom of a large soup pot and spread around the surface. Heat the oil until it bubbles on high and then bring down to low heat.
- Saute the onions in the oil for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add carrots and cook for another 2-3 minutes, adding little bits of water at a time if it is starting to stick or burn. Stir in the garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Add the sweet potato and vegetable stock and then simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the veggies are soft.
- Puree in a food processor or with an immersion blender until smooth. Season to taste and enjoy!
Looking for another delicious soup recipe?