(Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything through them, there is no extra cost to you. I simply make a small commission from the sale which allows me to keep this site up and running. Thank you for supporting To Eat, Drink & Be Married!).
Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie Hot Dish…What is it?
When Grace was born, I stayed home from all activities until she got her 2 month vaccines. During that time, Mikey went to church and other activities without me…and I discovered some fun things to keep me entertained at home. One of those things was Molly Yeh’s Food Network Program airing and all of her delicious Jewish/Midwest/Japanese food. It was amazing. And among those delicious dishes was a dish similar to this Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie Hot Dish.
She shared how she made this, what it meant to her family and how much they enjoy it now. Knowing how much Mikey looooves tater tots, I decided to make this for when he got home from church later on that day. I had made a Chicken Pot Pie a few days prior so I had that fresh on my mind. I decided to basically recreate that filling and then top it with tater tots. Oh gosh it was delishhhhh. I want it again now. hahaha
How simple is this hotdish you ask?
This is really super simple. It’s even easier than a Chicken Pot Pie because you don’t need to deal with the fussy pie crust. Just top with frozen tots (I mean, can it get any easier?!) and you’re ready to bake. You can also prep this the night before and leave it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake. It’s a great freezer meal!
Let me know if you have any questions on this tater tot chicken pot pie hot dish…and if you make it, be sure to tag me on Insta! #toeatdrinkandbemarried
A warm, comforting dinner that is perfect for Fall!
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, divided
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 lbs chicken, cooked and diced into bite size pieces
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cup whole milk
- 1.5 cup half and half
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 large bag of tater tots
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large pot, melt 6 tablespoons of butter and add the carrots, half the onion, and stir until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the flour and whisk contantly for about one minute. Stir in the milk and cook, continuing to whisk constnatly. Stir in the half and half and continue whisking until thickened. Add the beef cube and pepper and mix until dissolved. Add salt to taste if necessary. Set aside.
- In another large pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the onion, a pinch of salt and garlic, stirring until the onion is translucent and it’s fragrant (reduce heat if necessary so garlic doesn’t burn). Add the chopped chicken and allow to warm up. Add frozen peas and corn and stir for another couple of minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain to remove all liquids. Layer half of the chicken mixture on the bottom of a 4 quart oven proof dish. Then layer half of the cream mixture. Pour the rest of the chicken followed by the rest of the cream mixture over that.
- Top with tater tots to cover the entire mixture beneath. Add a little salt and pepper over the tater tots. Bake for 45 minutes or until tater tots are golden brown and crunchy.
- Allow it to cool for 20 minutes so the mixture firms up a bit inside. Enjoy!
Want some more hearty deliciousness?