(Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything through them, there is no extra cost to you. I simply make a small commission from the sale which allows me to keep this site up and running. Thank you for supporting To Eat, Drink & Be Married!).
Ever had a Sweet Potato Pie?
I hadn’t until I started testing this recipe. Can you believe it? I don’t know how common it is around the US, but here in Miami, it certainly is not. We eat our sweet potatoes whole, or maybe in a casserole type (topped with toasty marshmallows, please and thank you very much!). Sweet potato pie is not a thing around here… BUT IT SHOULD BE!
Therefore, I present to you, my version of a Sweet Potato Pie (warning, I added brown sugar. Because I wanted even more sweetness in this!).
It is thick and creamy and still has that lightly sweetened taste of a sweet potato— and a whole lot more!
I won’t lie to you and say I made the crust- I totally didn’t. New baby around these parts = store bought pie crust. I can only imagine how much more delicious it would be with a homemade crust. If you have the time, do it. If you can’t, don’t sweat it. The real prize here is the filling!
This is an easy one (I’m really trying to make these pies attainable to all baking levels!). Lay out the crust, mix the filling, pour and bake. Top with whipped cream because who doesn’t love whipped cream?
The only thing I ask of you- make homemade whipped cream. It is totally worth it. And necessary. So creamy. Lightly sweetened. SOOO delicious!
Here’s the simple pie that should be at your Thanksgiving table this year!
If you make it, be sure to tag me on Instagram or email me your pic! I want to seeeee! Hashtag #toeatdrinkandbemarried on your post so I can find it 🙂
- 1 Pillsbury pie crust (or homemade)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Homemade whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Boil sweet potatoes for 40-50 minutes or until a fork can be pushed through easily. Remove from water and let them cool. Peel the skin off and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out the pie dough in your baking dish. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the potatoes until smooth (remove any stringy pieces). Add all of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Spread into pie crust.
- Bake for an hour or until it holds together and only the center is jiggly. Place the pie on a cooling rack until fully cooled.
- In a stand mixer, add whipping cream and powdered sugar. Mix until soft peaks form. Top cooled pie and dig in!
Use a pie crust shield or foil along the edges after 30 minutes of baking if desired, to prevent over browning.
- Category: Dessert
Looking for another dessert? Try this delicious pie!