My all time favorite type of food is Italian. Oh, how I love pasta and they cheesy goodness layered over it. My husband isn’t such a fan, but he indulges me every now and then…
A few nights ago I was craving a yummy pasta dish, but didn’t want something too fattening (still working on that diet, ya know!), too complicated or messy! I decided to go with a simple chicken parmesan, but instead of frying the chicken to cook it and then putting it in the oven to melt the cheese, I baked the chicken completely in the oven (goodbye, frying!). It was truly just as delicious as fried chicken and the tomato sauce and cheese topping was perfect! I accompanied it with some penne pasta and one of those handy frozen breadsticks (why are those just the best?!). Here’s the recipe for your enjoyment. :)
Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Recipe Type: Dinner
- Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook time: 30 minutes, Total Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 4-5
Here’s a simple recipe for an old classic. This one is perfect for adults and kids alike and you can mix it up with different types of pasta. This one won’t dissapoint!
- 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs (or 1 cup plain breadcrumbs with 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning)
- 1 jar (24 ounce) of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 13x9in glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine lightly beaten egg with milk in a bowl. Dip chicken in egg/milk mixture and then coat with breadcrumbs. Arrange in one layer in baking dish. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes
- Pour sauce over chicken and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Check with thermometer (should read 165F when done) or cut through one to make sure it is no longer pink. Serve over pasta of your choice with a breadstick or italian toast!
For a creative way to make chicken, check out THIS recipe!