(Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything through them, there is no extra cost to you. I simply make a small commission from the sale which allows me to keep this site up and running. Thank you for supporting To Eat, Drink & Be Married!).
When you are between Summer and Fall…Chunky & Creamy Baked Potato Soup!
What’s the end of summer without some soups to get us ready for Fall? I know, I know. You want to enjoy your last 20 or so days of summer…but I just can’t help it! Living in Miami, summer is definitely NOT my favorite season. I looooove Fall. And what is fall without a Chunky & Creamy Baked Potato Soup?
Last year I made soooo many soups. I just couldn’t get enough! Broccoli Cheddar, Butternut Squash, White Cheddar, Chicken Wild Rice…and let’s not even start with the bean soups! I love them all so much. Any creamy soup especially. Ahhh, just feels like Fall…even when you make it in the beginning of August. hahaha
How exactly does time fly?
I can’t believe that we are way past halfway through the year. It just doesn’t seem real to me. I spent the better part of the beginning of the year wishing it away so it would be May already and Grace was with us. Now it seems like time is flying by. I mean, she’ll be 3 months in just a few days. How does that even happen?!
Now, as much as I want time to slowwww. dowwwwn. I can’t wait for the days ahead! The cooler months are what I live for around here… as well as the food that comes with it.
There is just something so comforting about a warm bowl of soup. I mean, it’s mid summer and you may be in the sweltering heat as you read this, but doesn’t the photo of a warm bowl of soup look so cozy and inviting?
Just the Soup Basics, please and thank you!
You can totally go out and buy new potatoes for this recipe, but I always find myself coming back to it when I have a drawer full of potatoes that I haven’t used up and want to make room for some new veggies. In preparation for this recipe, I peeled my potatoes, but for a more rustic finish (or to save you time, lol!), you can just leave them with the skins.
I am certain that you have all the ingredients you need to make this soup in your fridge right now. It is just a mix of basics like potatoes, milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Oh and butter. I always add extra butter, cause why not?!
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. You want to have a good soup repertoire before the cooler days set in, ya know?
If you make this recipe and post it, be sure to tag me or hashtag #toeatdrinkandbemarried. I’d love to see it and post on my Instagram stories!
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed into bite size pieces
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Bacon, green onion and cheese for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add in the flour and whisk for 1 minutes to create a roux (it will begin to brown a bit). Whisk in milk little by little. Whisk constantly until it begins to thicken (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in potatoes, minced onion and garlic. Let it come to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer until potatoes are fork tender (about 20 minutes).
- Add the sour cream, cheese, salt and pepper and stir until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. You can also add more milk if your soup is too thick.
- Serve in bowls and add any toppings you like! Enjoy!
- Category: dinner
Keywords: dinner, soup, baked potato