I love potatoes. And I mean, potatoes in any way. They can be mashed, smashed, chopped, wedged, fried, tater tots, hash browns…I love them all! These mashed potatoes are my favorite way to make them and I can’t believe I haven’t shared these yet. The garlic, parmesan taste with the skins left on makes them extra restaurant style.
I’ve received so many compliments on these mashed potatoes. They end up with some lumps inside, but we don’t mind. You can add or reduce the Parmesan cheese level, too. We tend to leave the cheese as it is and add a little extra garlic powder because we love garlic around here! Technically it serves 4, but it’s usually less than that around here because everyone wants extra large portions of this! This is going to be your new favorite recipe…I promise! 😉
Restaurant Style Mashed Potatoes
- Recipe Type: Dinner, Side
- Prep Time: 10 min, cook time 20-25 min, Total Time: 30-35 min
- Serves: 4
The best, buttery, garlicy and parmesan mashed potatoes you have ever tried. Perfectly whipped and creamy!
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 8 small), quartered, skin left on
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I would start at 1/4 and add more if you like a cheesier mash)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into little pieces
- Bring a large pot of water with kosher salt to a boil. Add potatoes, then reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, sour cream, Parmesan cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- When potatoes are tender, remove from heat and drain. Add potatoes to the bowl with the other ingredients and mix on medium speed until mostly smooth (there may be some lumps, but you can keep beating until creamy if you prefer). Garnish with chives, shredded parmesan cheese, little drizzle of butter or sour cream, or nothing at all if you prefer to dig right in. Enjoy!
Note: This can also be made without a stand mixer. Just add these ingredients to a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer.