(Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything through them, there is no extra cost to you. I simply make a small commission from the sale which allows me to keep this site up and running. Thank you for supporting To Eat, Drink & Be Married!).
What’s for dinner?
These days, dinner is pretty unpredictable. With a new baby, some nights we are having cereal or grilled cheeses and on easier days, we are able to cook up something fancier. Since Mikey is home between 3-5 days each week, we are able to get creative. One of our very favorite meals is Parmesan Garlic Risotto…and we love to mix up the toppings on it!
We had this a while back on vacation and we knew we wanted to learn to make it. Luckily, risotto may be a lengthy process, but it is definitely not difficult! We have tried making various risottos (Mikey even made me one for Valentine’s the first year we were married!). One of my standing favorites is lemon parmesan.
However, my favorite to this day is this one. It is a classic Parmesan Garlic Risotto. I went out and bought some fried pork chunks and served those up with this Risotto. Here in Miami, there are many small shops of Cuban food that sell things like this. It is so delicious and such a great quick meal at any time of day!
Parmesan Garlic Risotto toppings…is that even a thing?
I also wanted to add a little sweetness factor so I added fried sweet plantains (or platanitos as well call them around here). I sliced those up thinly and topped the risotto. SO DELISH!
If you don’t have access to sweet plantains, consider adding a banana to your meal. Cubans add banana slices to just about every dinner. The sweetness factor is so good with the savory dish!
Fried pork chunks are amazing with this risotto, but if you don’t want that, you can totally add any kind of protein you want. Parmesan Garlic Risotto topped with chicken, steak, pork, whatever you choose- it will be amazing. Let me know what you choose!
If you make this, be sure to tag me or use the hashtag #toeatdrinkandbemarried.
Here’s the Recipe!
[recipe title=”Parmesan Garlic Risotto” servings=”6 cups” time=”35 minutes”]
- 1 1/4 cup Arborio Rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp. butter
- parsley for garnish
- Bring vegetable broth to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and keep simmering while you start the rice.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil. Add in onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent (about 6-7 minutes). Add in garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add in rice and stir, making sure all the rice is coated in the oil mixture. Add in wine and stir.
- Increase heat to medium high and add in one cup of vegetable broth, stirring constantly until the rice has soaked up almost all of the liquid. Continue adding one cup at a time, stirring constantly, until all of it has been absorbed. This should take about 15-20 minutes.
- Add in Parmesan and butter and stir until combined. Top with whatever protein you’d like and garnish with parsley.
If you want another delicious dinner option…