A simple brunch classic- Strawberry Breakfast Cake for Two
Strawberry Breakfast Cake for Two is such an easy and simple recipe anyone can put together in a jiffy!
This little loaf of goodness is full of spring flavors- think strawberry, lemon and that distinct taste of buttermilk!
I also love adding a bit of nutty flavor to this so I added a touch of almond extract and it truly makes for the most lovely flavoring.
This small loaf screams “spring and easter” vibes and I’m loving it!
Don’t have buttermilk? No worries! I’ll give you some alternatives below so you can still enjoy this Springtime cake at your next morning brunch date!
What do you need for this lovely springtime cake?
- one 7×5 inch baking dish or two ramekins
- baking pan
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
- turbinado sugar
How to make this perfect breakfast loaf for date brunch!
This is a simple one. Really, you’ll be able to whip this up for any quick breakfast. It goes perfectly with coffee! Let’s dive right in.
Take a small bowl and whisk your flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a larger bowl, using a spatula or a mixer, beat the butter and sugar. Then add the egg, extracts and lemon zest.
Add half of the flour, stir. Add all of the buttermilk, stir. and then the rest of the flour and stir.
Then add the chopped strawberries and fold in.
Now you’re ready to spread in a baking pan and bake for 40 minutes or so until ready.
This is truly so simple and you won’t be able to get enough!
If you don’t have buttermilk:
-combine 3/4 plain yogurt or sour cream with 1/4 cup water. Then use 1/4 cup for this recipe
-Combine 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then just 1/4 cup for this recipe.
Worst case scenario, you can just use regular milk… but I love the tang of the buttermilk flavor!
If you make this, be sure to tag me or send me a pic! I love to see what you guys are making :)
Strawberry Breakfast Cake for Two
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup half stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 sugar
- zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp almond extract optional
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2-3/4 cup fresh strawberries chopped
- turbinado sugar for topping optional.
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper and grease it (or any other small baking pan)
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the softened butter and sugar well with a spatula (or whip with a stand/hand mixer). Add the lemon zest, egg, vanilla extract and almond extract. Stir again to combine.
- Add in half of the flour mixture and stir until combined. Add the buttermilk, stir again. And then the other half of the flour and stir to combine.
- Add in the chopped strawberries and fold them into the batter until they're evenly distributed.
- Pour into prepared baking pan, top with a sprinkle of turbinado sugar if using and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to fully cool.
If you loved this recipe, be sure to check out these: