(Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything through them, there is no extra cost to you. I simply make a small commission from the sale which allows me to keep this site up and running. Thank you for supporting To Eat, Drink & Be Married!).
Who remembers the delicious Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies of Panera Bread from years past? I remember going there every fall looking for those delicious treats and enjoying one with a delicious coffee or hot chocolate (shout out to those massive marshmallows for taking the hot chocolate up a notch!) . Year after year, we’d return for these cookies to be enjoyed throughout the cooler months, when one year, they disappeared. They redid the menu and these cookies were gone. SAD DAY.
Favorite Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies add-in, you ask?
My sisters and I looked for a recipe online for these. It took us a while, but we landed one we loved and added a few surprises to it, as well. I tried adding chocolate chips, coconut, peanut butter chips and more. But my absolute favorite addition to these cookies is M&M’s (close second is white chocolate chips!).
M&M add ins make any cookie extra special. You can theme them to any holiday with the coordinating colors or just enjoy them with the fun mixed colors. I’ve tried both mini and regular sized and both are great. Mini’s get spread evenly throughout the cookie so you have chocolate in every bite, but the regular sized gives you a good chunk of chocolate when you bite in. Mmmm…
If you want to try the white chocolate chips: They make the cookie a tad creamier and still totally chewy. The key to keeping the white chocolate soft and melty is to slightly under bake these cookies. White chocolate burns easily, so if you under bake the cookies by a minute or two, just let them sit on the baking sheet for an extra couple of minutes and they’ll finish cooking without all the extra direct heat. This also keeps them chewy for days to come!
The secret ingredient here is….
Boxed cake mix! Yep, you read that right. If you know me, you know I love making something out of boxed cake or brownie mixes (like my brownie cookies). This is just a boxed red velvet cake mix (any brand will do) mixed with eggs, butter, and a little flour. Not using oil keeps them from getting too soggy. These come together easily and bake beautifully!
I love making these for doctor’s offices during the holidays, a lovely red treat for Valentine’s Day or just at home on a weeknight to watch a Hallmark movie. The dough freezes well so you can go ahead and shape, freeze and pop one in the oven or toaster oven when you’ve got a craving for a warm treat in the evening. 😉
If you make these, be sure send me an email with a pic (email@example.com) or tag me on Instagram (@toeatdrinkandbemarried). I’d loooove to see them! 🙂Print
- 1 16.5 oz box of Red Velvet Cake mix
- 1 stick (8oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- scant 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup M&M’s (or white/milk chocolate chips)
- powdered sugar for rolling cookies in
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix cake mix, butter, eggs and flour until combined. Add M&M’s and stir again.
- Using a mini cookie scoop, measure out a bit of dough and roll into a ball. Then roll in the powdered sugar and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, then remove from oven and give baking pan a few good pats against the counter to achieve the perfect crinkle (very important!). Let them sit on the baking sheet another 2 minutes or so and then transfer to wire rack.
- Once completely cooled, dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
If you’re looking for other delicious treats, give these a try!